Diet and nutrition are directly related to the prevention and management of cancer. A joint panel of the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) and the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) estimated that 40% of cancers can be prevented by making changes in nutrition and physical activity. More strikingly, the Journal of the American Medical Association published a study that estimated a 60% reduction in cancer mortality throughout a study among people who had adopted a healthier lifestyle.
According to the American Cancer Society, one-third of cancer deaths in the United States can be prevented if Americans consumed a diet rich in plants and maintained healthy body weight. This raises alarms about the diet or the food consumed. Patients with cancer require appropriate nutrition to prevent or resolve their nutritional deficiencies, achieve or maintain a healthy weight, preserve lean body mass, reduce nutrition-related side effects, and maximize their quality of life.
At IOSPL, our Cancer Care Treatment in Noida comprises of expert dieticians and nutrition experts devise an individualized diet chart based on your cancer stage, condition, treatment, and preferences. Our experts follow the “gold standard” of in-person nutrition counselling. This personalized counselling provides consistent beneficial effects on energy and protein intake, nutritional status, and quality of life as compared to non-standard nutrition advice.
The immune system is compromised during cancer. The body’s immune system is unable to fight against infections. Hence, conscious food decisions are to be made to strengthen immunity. This involves consuming food that provides enough calories for the day, an adequate amount of protein to build muscles, vitamins, minerals, and fluid to maintain the body.
A common concern among cancer patients is abrupt or unintended weight loss. This occurs due to chemotherapy and its side effects such as nausea, change in taste buds, and loss of appetite. Hence, the right nutrition plan is needed which maintains a healthy weight in the patient. One diet cannot fit all patients. The diet has to be customized based on your cancer stage and symptoms. Our team at IOSPL creates an individualized diet plan to fit your needs.
We recommend foods rich in nutrients that help in:
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
- Keeping up strength and energy.
- Reducing the risk of infections.
- Increasing toleration capacity for treatment-related side effects.
- Healing and faster recovery.
- Increasing the body’s response to treatment.
- Reducing side effects.
A diet and nutritional counselling for cancer patients are crucial as it helps them to remain healthy, keep their body tissues healthy, and manage their side effects. The patients are recommended to:
- Eat a balanced diet by including raw vegetables and fruits, whole grains, and lean protein.
- Eat healthy omega 3-fats found in walnuts, salmon, and flaxseeds.
- Shy away from alcohol and cigarette.
- Eat food rich in vitamin D.
- Eat high fiber foods.
- Avoid sugar and sugary beverages.
- Consume more liquids such as fresh fruit juices and coconut water.
- Avoid red meat and eat eggs, cheese, fish, beans, or tofu.
- Eat small meals throughout the day if you feel nauseous.